Prince has been cremated and celebrated in private ceremony, publicist says

Fans outside Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minn., left messages on a memorial sheet adorned with the symbol Prince once used to identify himself.

Fans outside Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minn., left messages on a memorial sheet adorned with the symbol Prince once used to identify himself.

(Jeff Baenen / Associated Press)

Prince was cremated and celebrated afterward in a small, private service by a group of his “most beloved” family, friends and fellow musicians, his publicist said Saturday.

Yvette Noel-Schure said in a statement that the 57-year-old music superstar’s family and friends gathered “in a private, beautiful ceremony” to say a loving goodbye.

Prince died Thursday at his home and recording studio, Paisley Park, in suburban Minneapolis. An autopsy was done Friday, but authorities have not released a cause of death and have said that results could take days or weeks.


See the most-read stories this hour >>

His publicist’s statement said that Prince’s “final storage” would be private.

“We ask for your blessings and prayers of comfort for his family and close friends at this time,” the statement said. It said that a “musical celebration” would be held at a future date.

Prince was found unresponsive in an elevator at Paisley Park, his estate in suburban Minneapolis. The sheriff and a medical examiner’s spokeswoman declined Friday to say whether prescription drugs were taken from his home after his death.

Celebrity website TMZ, citing unidentified sources, has reported that Prince was treated for an overdose of the powerful painkiller Percocet while traveling home from concerts in Atlanta last week. The site said his plane made an emergency landing April 15 in Moline, Ill., where he was briefly hospitalized.

Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson has said Prince was last seen alive by an acquaintance who dropped him off at Paisley Park at 8 p.m. Wednesday. The “Purple Rain” star, born Prince Rogers Nelson, was found by staff members who went to the compound the next morning when they couldn’t reach him by phone.

Emergency crews who answered the 911 call in Chanhassen, about 20 miles outside Minneapolis, could not revive Prince, the sheriff said. He said emergency workers did not administer Narcan, a drug they carry to counteract overdoses.


Prince’s death came two weeks after he canceled concerts in Atlanta, saying he wasn’t feeling well. He played a pair of makeup shows there April 14, apologizing to the crowd shortly after coming on stage.

Early in the first show, he briefly disappeared from the stage without explanation. After about a minute he returned and apologized, saying he didn’t realize how emotional the songs could be. He played the rest of the show without incident and performed three encores.

In the later show, he coughed a few times, though his performance was again energetic.

Then came the reported emergency landing en route to Minnesota. The night after that, Prince hosted a dance party at Paisley Park, where some fans said he looked fine and seemed irked by reports of an illness. Prince didn’t play except to tap out a few notes on a piano, and lingered only for a few minutes before disappearing.

Prince was slated to perform two shows earlier this week at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis but canceled last week due to health concerns.

The musician had spoken about struggling with childhood epilepsy. It is unclear whether his epilepsy carried into adulthood.



Prince’s last shows: A view from the front row

In the wake of Prince’s death, a very short history of the color purple

Value of Prince’s $300-million estate is expected to soar in coming years