Total time: 35 minutes
Note: Adapted from "Edible Flowers: A Kitchen Companion With Recipes" by Kitty Morse
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
1/2 pound arugula leaves
3 cups chicken broth, divided
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup arugula blossoms
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the green onions until the whites are translucent and the greens are wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the arugula and 1 cup broth. Cook, covered, until the leaves wilt, about 3 minutes. Remove and cool.
3. In a blender, purée the arugula mixture in batches until very smooth.
4. Return the purée to the saucepan and add the remaining 2 cups broth. Bring the soup back to a simmer, but do not boil.
5. Season with one-quarter teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
6. To serve, ladle the soup into four bowls, adding the cream to each bowl in a pattern, but not stirring to combine. Divide the arugula blossoms among the bowls, spooning onto the center of each. Serve immediately.
Each serving: 194 calories; 4 grams protein; 5 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 18 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 41 mg. cholesterol; 420 mg. sodium.