Dear SOS: I read your column regularly, and you certainly are able to research the most difficult recipe information with success. My husband loves the Corner Bakery’s large oatmeal cookies because they are so chewy and not too sweet. Please see if you can secure the balanced ingredients and directions for the recipe.
Dear Beverly: These generous oatmeal cookies are big on both size and flavor, sweetened with brown sugar. It may seem like there’s a lot of cinnamon, but it balances nicely with the vanilla and fruit. And don’t be deceived; though they are generously sized, after one bite you may realize one cookie’s not enough. Plan to have an extra handy just in case.
Corner Bakery Cafe’s oatmeal currant cookies
Total time: 30 minutes, plus baking time
Servings: About 4 dozen cookies
Note: Adapted from Corner Bakery Cafe
3 1/2 cups (1 pound) pastry flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 pound (3 sticks) butter
1 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
2 1/3 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Scant 4 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup currants or raisins
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, until fully incorporated, then beat in the vanilla.
4. Beat in the flour mixture, a spoonful at a time, just until incorporated, then gently fold in the oats and currants.
5. Scoop a generous 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten the ball slightly and repeat, spacing the balls about 3 inches apart (you should be able to fit 6 cookies on a standard-size sheet). Bake the sheets until the cookies are golden and set, 18 to 20 minutes, rotating halfway through for even baking. Remove and cool the cookies on the baking sheet for crunchier cookies; for softer cookies, remove the cookies from the sheet, and cool (still on the parchment) on a rack.
Each cookie: 214 calories; 4 grams protein; 36 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 7 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 24 mg. cholesterol; 18 grams sugar; 185 mg. sodium.