Skip to content
Peppers stuffed with bulgur and feta salad
Total time: 1 hour
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1/2 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup chopped mint
3 1/2 ounces French feta, plus 1 ounce for broiling
1/4 teaspoon Aleppo chile
1/4 teaspoon sumac
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 medium-sized peppers, either red or yellow bell peppers, Anaheim peppers, poblano, or any from your farmers market
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add the bulgur and one-half teaspoon salt; bring back to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, then refrigerate.
2. In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, scallions, mint, feta (reserving the extra ounce), Aleppo chile, sumac, kosher salt and bulgur. Cover and set aside.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a full boil. Cut the tops off the peppers, removing the veins and seeds. Blanch the peppers for 3 to 5 minutes (until they are pliable to the touch, but they shouldn't lose their color), depending on which peppers you are using and how large they are. Drain and reserve.
4. Heat the broiler. Stuff the peppers with the bulgur mixture and place on a baking sheet, reserving the tops for serving. If you're using long peppers, slit the sides to stuff them, then tie them up with kitchen twine. Crumble additional feta on top of the bell peppers or along the slits of the other peppers. Broil until the feta melts and the peppers get some color, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Plate the peppers with their tops and serve.
Each serving: 212 calories; 8 grams protein; 24 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams fiber; 11 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 28 mg. cholesterol; 795 mg. sodium.