Advertisement

Panorama: Los Angeles Herald Examiner lobby

(Bryan Chan / Los Angeles Times)

The century-old former Herald Examiner building in downtown Los Angeles has been vacant since the newspaper closed in 1989. It has been used for filming and, in 2014, it was the second-most-filmed location in Los Angeles, according to a review of permit data.

The Herald Examiner building opened in 1915 as Broadway was emerging as a regional hub of nightlife and theater. Publisher William Randolph Hearst commissioned architect Julia Morgan to design the headquarters for what was then simply the Los Angeles Examiner.

Morgan, who later designed Hearst castle, incorporated Spanish, Italian and Moorish touches in the Examiner building and created an ornate lobby of marble and gold with hand-painted tiled flooring.

(Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)

(Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)

Advertisement
Advertisement