A 15-year-old former student was arrested Tuesday after allegedly tweeting that Chino High School “needs a good shooting” and suggesting that he would repeat the Columbine massacre, according to authorities.
The teen posted two messages about 2:30 p.m. on Twitter, saying, “Im recreating Columbine!” and “Chino needs a good shooting,” said Bob Dowling, founder and president of the Tactical Institute, a Washington, D.C., organization that monitors social media for threatening statements and notifies law enforcement agencies and other organizations and institutions.
After spotting the threats, his group notified Chino High officials, who called police.
The Chino Police Department identified the teen as an Ontario boy who had been expelled from the high school, said Tamrin Olden, a department spokeswoman. He was arrested at his home on suspicion of making criminal threats and taken to the San Bernardino County Juvenile and Assessment Center. His identity was not released because he is a minor.
Police who searched the boy’s home in Ontario did not find any weapons, she said.
“We don’t believe there are any additional threats to the students and staff at Chino High,” she said.
According to police, the threat was made after classes had ended.
Nevertheless, police remained on high alert after learning about the tweets, Olden said.
Columbine High School outside Denver was the scene of one of the nation’s worst massacres. On April 20, 1999, two heavily armed students killed 12 high schoolers and one teacher. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold injured 24 other students, then committed suicide.
In a statement sent to parents, the Chino Valley Unified School District said classes would be in session Wednesday and Thursday. Spring break starts on Friday.
“We are grateful that someone saw something and said something,” the district said. “All threats are taken seriously and once notified, the district and Police Department worked together in partnership to keep our students safe.”