School worker electrocuted while setting up event honoring vets

A worker who was electrocuted while hanging a banner for an upcoming charity football game at a south Orange County high school has been identified as a 23-year-old Apple Valley man, authorities said Friday.

Daniel Pohl was killed Thursday while helping prepare the stadium at Mission Viejo High School for a football game honoring veterans, said Steve Concialdi, spokesman for the Orange County Fire Authority.

Pohl, who was standing on scaffolding when he came in contact with an electrical wire, was part of a three-person crew working on the preparation Thursday afternoon. A second worker was critically injured when he came to Pohl’s rescue and accidentally came in contact with a live electrical wire.

The incident drew the attention of players, parents and coaches at a nearby freshman baseball game.


Two coaches ran over to the stadium and scaled the scaffolding – which stood 30 feet high – in an effort to help, Concialdi said.

But before they could reach the top, a second worker who had been administering CPR to his co-worker stood up and brushed against a live wire carrying 12,000 volts of electricity. Concialdi said the second worker tumbled 25 feet to the ground.

The second worker, who was not identified, suffered burns to his neck, hands and hip. He is being treated at Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo.

Workers removed the scaffolding from the school campus Thursday night as a precaution.


Concialdi said the incident serves as a cautionary tragedy.

“Never, ever touch an electrical line,” he added. “This is a safety message everyone needs to remember.”

For Orange County news, follow @newsterrier on Twitter.



The stories shaping California

Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.

You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.