Jurors deliberated for a day before finding a man not guilty in the slaying of his son in their Carson home earlier this year.
Anderson Edward Lyiscott was found not guilty Tuesday, after being charged with murder in the fatal shooting of his 18-year-old son, Giovanni Lyiscott, in February.
The two had been arguing on Feb. 20 when the teenager locked himself in his room, according to the prosecutor. The boy's father reportedly armed himself with a gun, shot at the door handle to his son's room and entered, and the two engaged in a struggle, the prosecutor said.
During the fight, the gun went off and Giovanni Lyiscott was shot in the chest, the prosecutor said. He was taken to the hospital and died.
Lyiscott's attorney, Loyst Fletcher, said evidence established that his client had acted lawfully in an attempt to intervene when he heard his son assaulting someone in his bedroom.
"Ballistics and DNA evidence further established that Giovanni charged his father in an attempt to gain possession of the firearm and in the ensuing struggle, the gun discharged, killing him," Fletcher said.
Lyiscott had previously made several 911 calls in response to his son's "often violent and unpredictable behavior," according to Fletcher.
"We are very pleased with the jury's verdict in this case and delighted that this nightmare for Mr. Lyiscott and his family is over," Fletcher said. "They can now attempt to heal from the tragic loss of their son and brother, Giovanni Lyiscott."
For more California news, follow @brittny_mejia