Man recently listed on FBI’s Most Wanted list for quadruple-killing at L.A. restaurant due in court
A fugitive Jamaican gang member accused of killing four people in a bloody gunbattle at a popular South L.A. Jamaican restaurant will make his first court appearance Tuesday, just days after he was put on the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted list and then captured.
Marlon Jones, 41, is accused of shooting a rival gang member at an Oct. 15 birthday party at a home that had been converted into a Caribbean restaurant. That shooting and an ensuing gunbattle left four people dead and 10 injured.
Jones has been charged with four counts of murder along with the special circumstance allegation of multiple murders, making him eligible for the death penalty.
Jones was captured Friday after a car chase on the 110 Freeway near the Adams Boulevard exit while being pursued by FBI agents, said Laura Eimiller, an FBI spokeswoman.
The FBI Fugitive Task Force had received a tip earlier on Jones’ whereabouts, she said.
A day earlier, the federal agency announced that it was offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to Jones’ capture.
Jones has a lengthy history of violence and belongs to a Jamaican criminal gang that operates on the U.S. East Coast, L.A. Police Department investigators say. The group is involved in large-scale drug distribution, and Jones and other members may have come to L.A. to settle a dispute with rivals, authorities said.
Jones, a Jamaican national, had been living in New York, authorities said. He was in the U.S. illegally and was known to use a variety of aliases, including Rasheen Brantley, Floyd Evans Jr. and Junior. He operated in New Jersey, Connecticut, Tennessee and California, as well as the Caribbean.
Follow @lacrimes on Twitter
Times staff writer Joseph Serna contributed to this report.
The view from Sacramento
For reporting and exclusive analysis from bureau chief John Myers, get our California Politics newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.