Advertisement

Kellen Winslow II jailed again after being accused of lewd conduct while on bail

Kellen Winslow II jailed again after being accused of lewd conduct while on bail
Kellen Winslow II listens to testimony during a preliminary hearing in court on Oct. 15, 2018. (John Gibbins/San Diego Union-Tribune file)

Kellen Winslow II, the namesake son of the Chargers’ legend, was jailed without bail Monday after prosecutors brought new charges accusing him of lewd conduct in front of a 77-year-old woman in a Carlsbad gym last month — incidents said to have happened while he was out on bail facing charges of kidnapping and rape.

The younger Winslow is accused of touching himself and asking the woman if she liked it while he was exercising near her on Feb. 13, according to Deputy Dist. Atty. Dan Owens.

Advertisement

Nine days later, the prosecutor said, the woman was in a hot tub at the same gym when Winslow allegedly got in wearing only a towel and engaged in lewd conduct.

Winslow is accused of reaching out and touching the woman’s arm, and touching her foot as she got out of the hot tub to report the incident, the prosecutor said.

On Thursday, Winslow was accused of two counts of lewd conduct and one count each of battery of an elder and willful cruelty to an elder. The charges are all misdemeanors.

The 35-year-old Winslow, who is a former NFL player, pleaded not guilty and was ordered to remain on house arrest, according to court documents.

On Monday, Vista Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman ordered the Encinitas man jailed without bail.

Winslow’s defense attorney did not respond Monday to requests seeking comment.

At the time of the alleged incidents at the gym, Winslow was free on about $2-million bail, awaiting trial on rape and kidnapping charges in a case filed last year.

Trial in that case is scheduled for next month in Bowman’s courtroom. Winslow has pleaded not guilty.

Last June, prosecutors charged Winslow with several counts, including allegations that he kidnapped and raped two transient women in the Encinitas area.

The alleged attacks happened last March and May. Both women were in their 50s.

In addition, Winslow is accused of exposing himself to a woman, also in her 50s, in her Encinitas yard last May.

Then last summer, a woman came forward to allege Winslow had raped her in 2003, when she was 17 years old. Winslow was 19 at the time.

Winslow is due back in Bowman’s courtroom Tuesday for a previously scheduled hearing: His attorneys are asking Bowman to drop several charges in the kidnapping and rape case.

The defendant is the son of Chargers Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow. The younger Winslow was born and raised in San Diego and played 10 seasons in the NFL.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement