Man is charged with attempted murder after break-in at Miranda Kerr’s Malibu home
A man was charged Tuesday with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon after he broke into the Malibu home of Australian model Miranda Kerr and slashed a security guard’s face, authorities said.
Shaun Anthony Haywood, a native of Australia, faces one felony count each of attempted willful, deliberate and premeditated murder, assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated mayhem, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office. The charges allege that Haywood inflicted great bodily harm on the security guard.
If Haywood is convicted, he faces up to life in prison.
The attack was reported about 11 a.m. on Oct. 14 after Haywood broke into the Victoria’s Secret model’s property to deliver a letter, prosecutors said.
The security guard saw Haywood and confronted him.
Haywood, 29, charged at the guard and grabbed his knife, according to the district attorney’s office.
Haywood slashed the guard’s face, prosecutors said.
The guard then shot Haywood, said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Sgt. James Braden. Paramedics arrived to find Haywood had been shot in the head and the guard stabbed in the eye, said Inspector Richard Licon, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Both were taken to area hospitals for treatment.
Prosecutors recommended that Haywood’s bail be set at $1 million.
For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA on Twitter.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.