Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas said this week that he has no intention of challenging Mayor Eric Garcetti as he seeks reelection in 2017.
Asked about his mayoral ambitions on the KCRW radio show "Which Way L.A.?," Ridley-Thomas said he will seek to retain his seat in 2016, when he will have the opportunity to run for a third four-year term.
"I'm running for the Board of Supervisors and I have no intention of challenging any incumbent that I'm aware of," he told Warren Olney, the program's host.
Ridley-Thomas, a former state lawmaker and L.A. city councilman, provided a different answer to the mayoral question last week. The Times asked him during an appearance at City Hall whether he had ruled out a 2017 run for mayor. At that point, Ridley-Thomas said no.
The Times then asked him when he expected to make a decision on the possibility of a mayoral bid. "I'm not prepared to go beyond that at this point," he said at the time.
On KCRW, Olney asked Ridley-Thomas about last week's remarks. The county supervisor responded by saying that he had given an answer to a general question about a possible mayoral bid, one that was not pegged to a specific election year.
The Times asked Ridley-Thomas for a follow-up interview Wednesday but he declined through a staffer.
Garcetti has spent the last few months raising money for his reelection bid. Asked about Ridley-Thomas last week, the mayor said he looked forward to seeking his support in the upcoming campaign.