Student arrested on suspicion of sexual battery at San Jose State University
A San Jose State University student has been arrested following a series of six sexual batteries reported on the campus since Oct. 17, according to authorities.
The student, Huaien “David” Kong, 19, was taken into custody on suspicion of attacking a female victim at 4:25 p.m. Monday in the campus’ Student Union, university spokeswoman Patricia Harris said. Police believe he grabbed the victim, then rode away on a skateboard.
Although Kong is accused of committing just one of the six cases campus police are investigating, authorities said they believe Kong committed other attacks that went unreported.
The attacks were reported at Duncan Hall, Sweeney Hall, Boccardo Business Complex and the Student Union.
“These disturbing incidents have caused understandable anxiety in our community,” university President Mary Papazian said in a statement Thursday.
Seventeen incidents of sexual battery have been reported on campus so far this year. That’s six more than 2015.
“While there is no indication that we are experiencing a significant year-to-year increase in these crimes, even one case is too many,” Papazian said.
Authorities don’t know whether the assailants in the other cases of sexual battery were students. But they think at least two of the incidents involved the same attacker.
Top school officials are working on a plan to increase security and add lighting at the university.
Two dozen security cameras will be installed to help with any police investigations. The cameras, however, will not be monitored in real time, Papazian said.
The university is recruiting six additional patrol officers, which will increase the Police Department staff to 32.
In September, a women told the San Jose Mercury News that she was attacked by a water polo player who attends the university at an off-campus party. She was one of two women who said they were attacked by the player off campus, school officials said.
The woman’s account prompted Papazian to issue a statement, assuring students and faculty she was determined to ensure the campus was safe and inclusive.
She said the Santa Clara County district attorney’s office was reviewing the assault allegations.
The student was barred from campus and ordered to stay away from the victims, Papazian said.
For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA on Twitter.
Start your day right
Sign up for Essential California for news, features and recommendations from the L.A. Times and beyond in your inbox six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.