Advertisement
California

Suspected burglar who got stuck in chimney died of thermal burns and smoke inhalation

Suspected burglar died in chimney

A suspected burglar who got stuck in a chimney died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns after a homeowner lighted a fire, officials said.

(Fresno County Sheriff’s Department)

A suspected burglar who sneaked into a home chimney Saturday died of thermal burns after the homeowner unwittingly lighted the fireplace, coroner’s officials said.

Cody Caldwell, 19, of Huron also died from smoke inhalation, according to Fresno County coroner’s officials.

The Fresno County Sheriff’s Department said Caldwell climbed into the chimney to burglarize the home and became stuck. When the homeowner returned home, he lighted a small blaze in the fireplace, deputies said.

Interested in the stories shaping California? Sign up for the free Essential California newsletter >>

Advertisement

The homeowner did not know Caldwell was inside the chimney before starting the fire, deputies said.

After lighting the fire, the homeowner heard Caldwell’s yells. As smoke filled the home, the homeowner tried to put out the fire.

Ten minutes later, Caldwell was still moving and breathing inside the chimney.

Firefighters were finally able to dismantle the chimney to get to Caldwell.

Advertisement

But by the time they reached Caldwell, he was dead, deputies said.

For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA

ALSO

Record-breaking cold temperatures chill Northern California

Film students with replica weapons cause panic, force closure of 101 Freeway

Spiked baseball bats found around San Francisco; police seek help


Newsletter
Get our Essential California newsletter
Advertisement