Advertisement
Share

Riverside says its Dorner reward is off the table

As the manhunt for fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner heated up last month, several municipalities and organizations offered large cash rewards for information leading to his capture. Los Angeles Mayor Villaraigosa even announced a $1-million reward.

But now that Dorner is dead, at least one city says its offer is off the table.

Advertisement

The Riverside City Council passed a resolution in February offering $100,000 for information leading to the “arrest and conviction” of Dorner, according to Riverside city spokesperson Cindie Perry.

FULL COVERAGE: Sweeping manhunt for ex-cop

But “because the conditions were not met, there will not be a payment of a reward by the city,” Perry wrote in an email Monday night.

There have been two claims to the overall reward money since Dorner apparently killed himself Feb. 12. One is by a couple near Big Bear whose car was stolen and who were tied up by Dorner, and another by a man whose pickup was taken by the ex-cop.

Advertisement

Although more than 25 donors pledged reward money, many are hesitating to follow through.

“I’ve spoken with some groups -- including a few that are substantial -- that have already decided to withdraw their pledges,” said Ron Cottingham, president of the 64,000-member union Peace Officers Research Assn. of California, which has placed its own pledge on hold pending additional information. “They said the reward doesn’t fit their criteria.”

Advertisement

ALSO:

No clear motive in slaying of East Hollywood man, police say

Advertisement

Man who set himself on fire in nail salon not expected to survive

Lesbian cousin of Supreme Court’s chief justice to attend Prop. 8 hearing

Advertisement

Twitter: @aribloomekatz | Facebook

ari.bloomekatz@latimes.com


Advertisement