Boston bombings: Video said to show suspect setting backpack down
WASHINGTON -- Surveillance video shows captured bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev setting his backpack down at the Boston Marathon’s finish line, waiting for the first bomb to go off and then moving away from the backpack before the second explosion, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said Sunday.
Patrick said he had not seen the tapes but had been briefed on them. He said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that the video puts 19-year-old Tsarnaev at the scene of the attack.
“It does seem to be pretty clear that this suspect took the backpack off, put it down, did not react when the first explosion went off and then moved away from the backpack in time for the second explosion,” Patrick said. “It’s pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly.”
Tsarnaev was captured Friday and is in serious condition at a Boston hospital under heavy guard. The other suspect, his older brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed.
At some point after Monday’s attack, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev apparently went to a party at his college campus, the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, according to students at the school.
“There is evidence frankly of some normal student behavior in those ensuing days,” Patrick said, “which, when you consider the enormity of what he was responsible for, raises a lot of questions in my mind.”
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get the day's top news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.