Who is speaking at the RNC on Thursday? President Trump to close out convention
The final night of the Republican National Convention — themed “Land of Greatness” — will feature President Trump’s acceptance speech, which he will deliver from the South Lawn of the White House, as well as speeches from his allies, members of his administration and his oldest daughter.
Ivanka Trump will introduce her father, just as she did during the 2016 Republican convention, and is expected to call him the “people’s president,” according to the Associated Press.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s campaign announced last week that he will address the convention in a prerecorded video. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy of California will speak, as will Rep. Jeff Van Drew, the former New Jersey Democrat who switched parties during the president’s impeachment.
Viewers will also hear from two prominent Black allies of the president: Housing Secretary Ben Carson and White House deputy assistant Ja’Ron Smith.
The convention has highlighted the stories of several Americans whose personal tragedies touch on the debates over foreign policy, immigration and crime. The final night of the convention will include remarks from Carl and Marsha Mueller, whose aid worker daughter, Kayla, was held captive and killed by Islamic State, and Ann Dorn, the widow of a retired St. Louis police captain who was killed while responding to a burglar alarm at a pawn shop that was being robbed as protests roiled the city.
Capt. David Dorn’s daughters told a local TV station that they don’t approve of Ann Dorn’s appearance. They said their father didn’t agree with President Trump and they don’t want his death to be politicized.
President Trump accepts the Republican nomination for a second term. He first must convince voters he can fix the health, economic and social crises that he failed to fix in his first term.
The final night of the convention will run from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Pacific time. It will stream on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video and air on CNN, C-SPAN, MSNBC and PBS. ABC, CBS, Fox News and NBC will air the convention from 7 to 8 p.m.
Thursday speakers include:
- President Trump
- Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
- Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy of Bakersfield
- Rep. Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey
- Ivanka Trump, the president’s oldest daughter
- Ja’Ron Smith, a deputy assistant to the president
- Ann Dorn, widow of retired police Capt. David Dorn.
- Debbie Flood, the president of Melron Corp. in Schofield, Wis.
- Rudolph Giuliani, the president’s personal attorney and the former mayor of New York City
- Franklin Graham, evangelical leader
- Alice Johnson, a nonviolent first-time drug offender whose sentence Trump commuted in 2018
- Wade Mayfield
- Carl and Marsha Mueller, parents of Kayla Mueller, an aid worker killed by Islamic State
- Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship
Get our Essential Politics newsletter
The latest news, analysis and insights from our politics teams from Sacramento to D.C.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.