Advertisement
Sports

Panthers’ Jonathan Martin contemplating retirement over back surgery

Panthers practice

Panthers offensive lineman Jonathan Martin (75) blocks tackle David Foucault, left, during an offseason team workout on May 28.

(Jeff Siner / TNS)

Carolina Panthers offense tackle Jonathan Martin, the lineman harassed during the Miami Dolphins’ 2013 bullying scandal, is contemplating retirement following a back injury.

Martin’s agent Ken Zuckerman told the Associated Press his client recently injured his back during a workout. Zuckerman said doctors informed Martin he’s not allowed to do any activity for six weeks and needs surgery.

Zuckerman said he advised Martin “not to rule anything out,” but said his client would rather retire than have surgery.

The agent said Martin “tells me he’s not going to play. I told him to never say never [because] there are always medical advancements.”

Advertisement

The 25-year-old Martin signed with Carolina earlier this off-season. He’s been working as a backup. Martin made national headlines in 2013 when he left the Dolphins after being bullied by teammates.

::

The family of the late Junior Seau will not disrupt the Hall of Fame ceremonies on Aug. 8 despite its disagreement with a policy preventing live remarks during a posthumous induction.

Steve Strauss, legal counsel to the Seaus and partner at Cooley LLP, said in an email that the family “does not want this issue to become a distraction to Junior’s accomplishments and legacy or those of the other inductees.”

Advertisement

Seau, who took his own life in 2012, will be saluted with a video presentation in which his daughter, Sydney, will speak. But Hall policy does not allow for live speeches during a posthumous induction.


Newsletters
Get our daily Sports Report newsletter
Advertisement