Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s next fight? It won’t be against Amir Khan, and it won’t be on CBS
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has ruled out fighting England’s Amir Khan next, and it’s now looking like his Sept. 12 bout will be televised on Showtime pay-per-view, not CBS.
A boxing official involved in negotiations but not authorized to discuss details publicly told The Times on Saturday that it’s “90 percent” likely that Mayweather (48-0) will fight on Showtime.
Originally, CBS emerged as a player, with Mayweather interested in exploring whether advertising revenue could support a fight of his magnitude.
In May, Mayweather earned in excess of $220 million for beating Manny Pacquiao by unanimous decision in the richest fight in history.
Former welterweight world champion Andre Berto is believed to be the favorite to fight Mayweather at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Khan (31-3, 19 knockouts), with consecutive wins over former world champions Devon Alexander and Chris Algieri, was believed to be a stronger candidate, but Mayweather has rejected him again after doing so last year before Marcos Maidana.
Khan was removed from consideration, the official said, because he kept publicly criticizing Mayweather after being told to keep his opinions quiet.
The official said Mayweather’s plans are likely to be finalized within a week.
Go beyond the scoreboard
Get the latest on L.A.'s teams in the daily Sports Report newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.