Tim Hudson is headed back to the Bay Area.
The San Francisco Giants have agreed to a $23-million, two-year contract with the free-agent pitcher, who began his career with Oakland. Hudson had a physical Monday, and the team said the deal is pending the results of that examination.
Hudson made his major league debut with the Athletics in 1999 and was 92-39 in six seasons with Oakland, where the right-hander teamed with Mark Mulder and Barry Zito to form a successful "Big Three."
The 38-year-old Hudson was 8-7 with a 3.97 earned-run average in 21 starts last season for Atlanta. His season was cut short by a broken right ankle that required surgery.
The 37-year-old right-hander, who has a 138-127 career record and 4.19 ERA, and has made 32 or more starts in each of the last nine seasons, has also drawn interest from San Francisco and Minnesota but has not received any formal offers.
Vizquel, 46, retired in 2012 after a 24-year big league career in which he amassed 2,877 hits, made three All-Star game appearances and was considered one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball history.
Carlos Ruiz and the Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to a $26-million, three-year contract that will keep the former All-Star catcher in Philadelphia, two people familiar with the negotiations told the Associated Press. The contract includes a club option for 2017.
Utah's Wilson out for season
Utah quarterback Travis Wilson will sit out the rest of the season after the team discovered a preexisting medical condition during a concussion diagnosis last week.
Utes Coach Kyle Whittingham said an initial concussion scan turned up evidence of a preexisting head trauma and a follow-up angiogram confirmed it.
Washington State has extended the contract of football Coach Mike Leach for two years, ensuring he'll be at the helm through the 2018 season, Athletic Director Bill Moos said.
Leach has led Washington State to a 5-5 record in his second season, 3-4 in the Pac-12 Conference.
Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White said he's confident welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre will stage a rematch with challenger Johny Hendricks in a timely manner and not take an extended break as the fighter referred to late Saturday.
St-Pierre (25-2) edged Hendricks by split-decision Saturday night at the MGM Grand, suffering cuts under both eyes and significant facial swelling after being pounded by Hendricks (15-2) in the second and fourth rounds.