Advertisement

NFL is looking into Johnny Manziel's latest off-field incident

NFL is looking into Johnny Manziel's latest off-field incident
Quarterback Johnny Manziel warms up before the Browns' Oct. 18 game against Denver in Cleveland. (David Richard / Associated Press)

Less than a week after his latest off-field incident, Johnny Manziel was on Cleveland's active roster Sunday. But not everyone agrees with the Browns' decision to stand by their backup quarterback.

"I believe in second chances but after the second chance, to me there's a zero-tolerance policy. He can't put himself into the position he put himself into," former Pittsburgh Steelers coach and current NFL analyst Bill Cowher said Sunday on "The NFL Today."

"I would ask for his release and I would do it for this reason: In that locker room, players want accountability ... and that's the message that needs to be sent right here, that you're accountable for your actions both on the field and off the field."

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour >>

Manziel was questioned by police Oct. 12, reportedly after a heated argument with girlfriend Colleen Crowley on the side of a highway. According to the police report, Crowley said Manziel pushed her head "against the glass of the car" and hit her a few times. However, she told police she didn't want to press charges and he wasn't arrested. They were allowed to leave together.

Manziel and Crowley downplayed the incident in separate social media posts, with Manziel saying "everything is fine" and Crowley stating "J & I are good."

The police report also said that Manziel told police he had been drinking earlier in the day but that he was not intoxicated. During the off-season Manziel spent 70 days in a rehab facility for unspecified reasons. 

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league will review Manziel's situation. “It is standard procedure to look into any incident that is a potential violation of our personal conduct policy,” he told the Associated Press in an email.

The Browns said in a statement that they are taking the situation seriously. What do you think they should do?

UPDATE

Oct. 20, 8:53 a.m.:This post was updated with a statement from NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy.

This post was originally published Oct. 19 at 12:44 p.m.

Advertisement
Advertisement