NASCAR’s Martin Truex Jr. will continue racing despite broken wrist
NASCAR driver Martin Truex Jr. broke his right wrist in a race last weekend but will keep racing with a special cast, his team, Michael Waltrip Racing, said Tuesday.
The injury occurred Saturday night when Truex’s No. 56 Toyota was involved in a multicar crash at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway.
His team said doctors fitted Truex, 33, with a special cast that “enables him to better grip the steering wheel” and that he had been cleared by NASCAR to drive in Sunday’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
With only two races left to determine the 12 drivers for NASCAR’s 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup championship playoff, Truex currently has one of the spots.
The top 10 drivers in points make the Chase, as do two wild-card drivers who have the most wins among those 11th to 20th in the points.
Truex, 14th in the standings with one win this year -- at Sonoma in June -- currently has one of the wild-card positions.
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.