Top 10 new theme park rides for 2011
It already feels as if 2011 is shaping up as a tweener ye
ar for new rides and attractions at U.S. theme parks.
That leaves the summer of 2011 as the calm between the storms.
My Top 10 list for 2011 includes major new attractions at Disney parks on both coasts; big roller coaster additions at Six Flags and Busch Gardens parks; and a throng of towering thrill rides at no less than eight other parks.
Which ride is No. 1? Click here to view the Top 10.
Naturally, every new ride can’t make my Top 10 list. Below I’ve included other new rides and attractions that willmake their debuts in 2011 (many of them at smaller parks), as well as major ride renovations and relocations (many of them at Six Flags parks) and significant water park expansions.
*(Connecticut) -- Fans will select the name for the Mega Disk-O spinning and rocking flat ride.
* Sesame Street Bay of Play kiddie land.(Texas) — The four-ride
* Disney’s Animal Kingdom (Florida) — The tour through the Kilimanjaro Safari Expedition savannah.
* Six Flags Magic Mountain (California) — shuttle coaster makeover plus the relocation of a kiddie coaster from a now-shuttered Six Flags park in New Orleans.
* Worlds of Fun (Missouri) — A restored 1926 carousel relocated from the shuttered Geauga Lake theme park in Ohio.
* Gauntlet wild mouse-style ride, relocated from Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, becomes the park’s 10th coaster.(Massachusetts) —
Water park expansions
* (Virginia) — Four water slides at Water Country USA, including two speed slides with trap door-style drops.
*(Illinois) — Water park expansion includes a vertical drop slide and surf simulator.
*-- Beach Party water fortress with eight slides and a geyser that shoots water 90 feet in the air.
* Wild Adventures (Georgia) — A five-person inner tube slide at the water park.
* Holiday World (Indiana) – Safari Sam’s Splashland water play area.
* Great Wolf Lodge (California) — New hotel with a water park near Disneyland.
As with any Top 10 list, my picks are subjective. If you disagree with the choices, add your opinions in the comments section below.
Get inspired to get away.
Explore California, the West and beyond with the weekly Escapes newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.