The Four Seasons Lanai, a luxury resort on the little-visited Hawaiian island owned by billionaire Larry Ellison, was selected as 2018’s best hotel in America in rankings released Tuesday by U.S. News & World Report.
Ellison bought 97% of the island for $300 million in 2012, and renovated the Four Seasons inside and out. It reopened in 2016.
Other hotels in the top 10 in the U.S. are:
3. The Langham Chicago, which was the No. 1 hotel in 2017’s rankings
4. Twin Farms in Barnard, Vt.
5. Four Seasons Resort, Hualalai on Hawaii Island, which last year ranked No. 2
6. Acqualina Resort & Spa on Sunny Isles Beach, Fla.
7. Wentworth Mansion in Charleston, S.C.
8. The Beekman in New York City
10. The Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills
How does the magazine create the rankings? It uses opinions by travel experts and TripAdvisor reviews. AAA, which recently released its four- and five-diamond hotel selections for 2018, sends inspectors and uses other criteria to rank hotels.