The legendary Riviera closed its doors May 4 in Las Vegas after 60 years of lighting up the Las Vegas Strip, and now its neon marquee shines bright again. The sign has a permanent home at the Neon Museum just north of downtown Las Vegas.
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority purchased the resort, which sits on 26 acres, for $182.5 million to build the Las Vegas Global Business District. When completed, the $2.3-billion expansion will make room for an additional 480,000 new attendees at 20 new trade shows and conventions.
The Riv was the first high-rise resort in Las Vegas when it opened in 1955. During that era, most casinos that popped up in the city were shaped like motors courts, giving the Riviera instant panache.
During its tenure, it played host to pianist Liberace, who performed on opening night, and singer Dean Martin, who even had a small stake in the resort.
Now the neon is turned back on for the sign that used to sit on the Riviera’s east side porte-cochere. It sits right above the Stardust sign that also lives in the Neon Boneyard.
Info: Neon Museum, (702) 387-6366