Islamic State claims responsibility for Mali attack that killed 30 soldiers
The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for an attack that killed 30 soldiers in Mali earlier this week.
A statement late Wednesday asserts that another 30 soldiers were wounded in Monday’s ambush.
The statement mentions no deaths among Islamic State-linked fighters. Mali’s army has said 17 extremists were killed in the fighting at Tabankort in the northeastern Gao region.
Mali and Niger had been carrying out a joint operation along their border to track extremists. Nigerian troops detained about 100 suspects.
Well over 100 Malian soldiers have died in the last two months in attacks by fighters linked to Islamic State and Al Qaeda.
The U.S. says the Sahel region south of the Sahara Desert is of growing concern with thousands of Islamic State-linked fighters active in Mali, Nigeria, Burkina Faso and elsewhere.
The Latinx experience chronicled
Get the Latinx Files newsletter for stories that capture the multitudes within our communities.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.