Former Italian leader Berlusconi at ‘delicate’ stage of coronavirus treatment
Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is responding “optimally” to COVID-19 treatment but is the most vulnerable type of patient and in “the most delicate phase” of the process, his personal doctor said Sunday.
Dr. Alberto Zangrillo reiterated that he nevertheless remained “cautiously optimistic” about Berlusconi’s recovery. Berlusconi turns 84 in a few weeks and has had a history of heart problems, which required him to have a pacemaker installed several years ago.
The three-time premier checked into the San Raffaele hospital in Milan early Friday after testing positive for the coronavirus earlier in the week. At the time, he had the early stages of a lung infection. Earlier in the week, he said he tested positive but showed no symptoms. Then he said he had a fever and felt achy but still vowed to campaign for his Forza Italia party in upcoming regional elections.
“The patient is responding optimally to treatment,” Zangrillo told reporters outside the hospital Sunday. “This doesn’t mean we can claim victory because, as you know, he belongs to the most fragile category” because of his age.
Official data show that men aged 80 to 87 have the highest COVID-19 death rate among all cases in Italy, at 47%.
Zangrillo suggested that Berlusconi wouldn’t be released anytime soon, adding that fighting the coronavirus “requires adequate treatment and takes its time.”
Berlusconi spent some of his summer vacation at his seaside villa on Sardinia’s Emerald Coast. Many of Italy’s recent cases of COVID-19 have been linked to people who vacationed in Sardinia.
Zangrillo is head of intensive care at San Raffaele. Berlusconi is believed to be in a VIP ward at the clinic, not in intensive care.
Zangrillo has been criticized for having asserted at the end of May, when Italy’s lockdown had greatly slowed its rate of new infections to just a few hundred a day, that “clinically speaking the virus doesn’t exist anymore.” Zangrillo has since acknowledged that the statement was too strong and “off-key” and was based on observing that fewer patients required intensive care.
Both Italy’s virus caseload and ICU numbers have been rising in recent weeks, mostly among Italians returning from vacation.
On Sunday, Italy added 1,297 more confirmed infections to its official toll. Its official death toll is 35,541, the second-highest in Europe after Britain.
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get all the day's most vital news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.