Aereo, the start-up video service that the Supreme Court ruled is illegal earlier this week, has told its customers it is temporarily suspending operations.
In a letter to subscribers, Aereo Founder and Chief Executive Chet Kanojia, said access to the service would stop Saturday (June 28) at 11:30 a.m. ET.
However, Kanojia indicated the company wasn't ready to throw in the towel just yet. "The company is not shutting down," a representative said, adding, "our journey is far from done."
Launched in 2012 and available in 11 markets including
Broadcasters led by CBS, Fox,
Kanojia, who called the ruling a "massive setback" for consumers and sends a "chilling message" to the technology industry, told subscribers, "We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map our next steps."
Aereo, which has 115 employees, has never disclosed the number of customers it had signed up for its service. Its backers include media mogul
Read the full text of the note Aereo sent to subscribers.