Total time: 40 minutes
Note: From Suzanne Tracht at Jar.
1 clove garlic
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4cup canola oil
1/4cup olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
1. In a mortar and pestle, smash the garlic and salt into a paste. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolk until smooth. Whisk in the lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in the canola oil, whisking to make a thin mayonnaise. Whisk in the garlic-salt paste and the olive oil. Just before serving, mix in the tarragon.
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1. Slice the potatoes across, not lengthwise, about one-quarter-inch thick. Put them in a pot with the garlic, onion and salt and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Pour off the water carefully and add ice water to stop the cooking. Drain, then pat the slices dry with a paper towel and lay flat.
3. Clarify the butter by melting over low heat until it separates. Skim the foam, leaving 2 tablespoons clarified butter.
4. Just before serving, heat the clarified butter in a large skillet and add the potatoes. Cook on both sides, turning gently, to heat through, about 5 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley.
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 (6-ounce) yellowtail filets, locally caught (not Japanese), skin removed
1. Heat the olive oil until almost smoking in a heavy iron skillet. Add the fish and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn over the fish and cook for 1 minute for medium-rare. Squeeze a couple of drops of lemon juice on each filet.
2. To serve, overlap four to five potato slices to make a circle in the center of each plate. Place one filet on top of the potatoes, and serve the aioli in a ramekin on the side.
Each serving: 946 calories; 44 grams protein; 47 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 65 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 163 mg. cholesterol; 1385 mg. sodium.