Solicitations for Mayor Roger Hedgecock's legal defense fund have been halted until the city attorney's office rules on whether the contributions violate city campaign contribution limits.
The drive was stopped voluntarily Tuesday, one week after it was announced, said Leo Sullivan, attorney for the fund-raising committee, Californians for the Future. The group had been seeking contributions of $1,000 or more to help defray Hedgecock's mounting legal expenses.
But last week, City Atty. John Witt said he believed the solicitations were subject to a campaign ordinance limiting individual contributions to a maximum of $250 per campaign. Sullivan, meanwhile, contends that the committee's is a statewide drive not bound by city campaign limits. He also argues that Hedgecock has a constitutional right to seek funds in any amount for his defense.