Advertisement

Fumes Force 700 to Leave Hemet Homes

A fire at a pool supply house early Saturday produced a cloud of toxic fumes, forcing the evacuation of 700 residents from four nearby mobile home parks, police in the San Bernardino County community reported.

The residents, mostly elderly, were sheltered at the Hemet Valley Mall for six hours while the fumes dissipated, police said. The toxic gases were caused by burning chlorine and other pool-cleaning solvents.

Two residents suffered minor health problems and were treated at the evacuation site by paramedics, investigators said. Four firefighters were briefly hospitalized with breathing problems.


Advertisement