Electrician Suffers Flash Burns, Shock as Wrench in His Hand Touches Wires

A 46-year-old electrician with a wrench in his hand tapped electrical wires Thursday morning at a Costa Mesa manufacturing plant and suffered severe flash burns and shock, authorities said.

Albert S. David was working on the main electrical box at Clay-Val, 1701 Placentia Ave., when his wrench contacted apparently live wires, police said. David, of Anaheim, suffered jolting electrical flash burns, shock and respiratory burns, Costa Mesa Police Lt. Cliff McBride said. He said paramedics treated the victim before he was taken by helicopter to UCI Medical Center’s burn unit in Orange.

A nurse there said David was in stable condition Thursday afternoon, with first- and second-degree burns to his arms, chest, neck and face.