The Region : Eight Hospitalized by Gas Leak at USC

Accidental release of the potentially deadly gas boron trifluoride in the engineering building at USC resulted in hospitalization of eight people who were in the room where the mishap occurred. Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Jim Williamson said the leak occurred when a connection broke in a container inside an "ion-implant machine" that university personnel were taking apart. No injuries were reported and only one of the eight people was directly exposed to the gas, Williamson said, but all were taken to California Hospital Medical Center and Good Samaritan Hospital for observation, and paramedics checked 28 other people for exposure because they were in the building. A Fire Department hazardous materials team later placed the damaged section in an airtight container for disposal by USC authorities.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
62°