The Dukakis campaign raised $8 million last week, bringing the Democrat’s total so far to nearly $40 million and within reach of the eventual $50-million goal set by treasurer Robert Farmer.
But the monetary success has come at a high price in the candidate’s time. Dukakis has spoken at fund-raisers virtually every night in the week. On Friday, he attended three fund-raising events in one evening--a dinner in San Francisco hosted by longtime fund-raiser Walter Shorenstein and two events in Sacramento.
The constant fund-raising has tired the candidate and interfered with campaign strategy sessions. “It’s been killing us,” said Dukakis aide Francis O’Brien.
So the campaign has called a halt. Dukakis will attend only three more fund-raisers, including one this week in Washington. At other events, running mate Lloyd Bentsen or other campaign surrogates will substitute for him.
The decision could cut somewhat into the fund-raising pace, but “I’m not changing my revenue projections,” Southern fund-raising chief Gary Barron said. At this point in the campaign, Barron said, “you’re going after the committed” for fund-raising, and the candidate’s presence should not be crucial.