A fire believed to have been started by a child playing with a cigarette lighter caused $35,000 damage to a Fullerton apartment and its contents Thursday, but a woman and three children escaped unhurt, fire officials said.
The occupant of the apartment, Marie Quinones, and three children were home when the fire broke out at about noon in a second-floor unit of a two-story apartment complex in the 2300 block of East Commonwealth Avenue, Fullerton Fire Department spokeswoman Sylvia Palmer said.
“The cause of the fire appears to be the 8-year-old daughter playing with a cigarette lighter in one of the two bedrooms,” Palmer said. “They all got out on their own, uninjured.”
There was “very minor damage, less than $500,” to a downstairs apartment, she said.
It was not immediately known whether all three children belonged to Quinones.