Electrical Short Starts North Hollywood Fire

Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze that started Wednesday in an unoccupied commercial building in North Hollywood after an apparent electrical malfunction, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 7:39 a.m. in the one-story building in the 6300 block of Laurel Canyon Boulevard, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Greg Acevedo. It was extinguished in about 15 minutes. No injuries were reported.

Acevedo said the fire started in a mattress store and spread to vacant retail space next door. He said an electrical short in a lighting fixture near a mattress apparently touched off the blaze.

No damage estimate was available.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
65°