FULLERTON : Man Burned Helping Neighbor Start Truck

A man's arms were severely burned Monday when he spilled flaming gasoline on his clothes as he tried to help a neighbor start his pickup truck, Fullerton fire officials said.

Charles Kane, 24, of Fullerton was taken to UCI Medical Center in Orange with second-degree burns on 10% of his body. A hospital spokeswoman said he was in good condition after treatment.

Kane was helping a neighbor start his pickup in the 800 block of Hastings Avenue by pouring a coffee can full of gasoline into the carburetor. As Kane poured, the truck's owner tried to start the engine, causing it to backfire and shoot a flame out of the carburetor that ignited the gasoline, Fire Capt. Eric Newman said.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
59°