Escondido

A four-hour standoff between a blind man and law enforcement officers ended Sunday when the man surrendered.

Escondido police and a Sheriff's Department SWAT team responded to a report at 5:44 a.m. that shots had been fired from a house in the 600 block of North Midway Drive.

A woman who identified herself as the gunman's wife told police that her husband, Anthony Porter, 38, had threatened to commit suicide and had fired several shots inside their home. The couple's children, an 8-month-old girl and three boys, ages 2, 7 and 8, were inside at the time, she told police. Porter also threatened to shoot at police if they tried to contact him, the woman told police.

Porter surrendered to police at 10:15 a.m. and was being held at the San Diego County Jail in Vista on suspicion of felony child endangerment, discharging a firearm and shooting at a dwelling. Bail was set at $20,046.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
57°