Eight local women will be honored for extraordinary achievement at the San Gabriel Valley YWCA's sixth annual Women of Achievement Leadership Awards Luncheon on June 1.
The honorees and their categories of award are:
* Lorraine Castro (Exceptional Merit). Castro is the founder and executive director of Bienvenidos Children's Center in West Covina, a nonprofit facility providing residential emergency care for children (newborn to 3 years old) who were born addicted to drugs or alcohol or who have been abused and neglected.
* Dr. Norvelle Harris (Professions). She is medical director of the clinical laboratory at Monrovia Community Hospital and at West Covina Hospital.
* Omeria Jefferson (Public Service). Jefferson is community service coordinator for gerontology service at Rancho Los Amigos Medical Center in Downey.
* Francine Laband (Lifetime Achievement). Laband is a supporter of the Walter and Francine Laband Emergency Center in the Queen of the Valley Hospital and has spent many hours volunteering at the hospital.
* Diana Lockard (Education). She is president of the Citrus College board of trustees and the California Community College Trustees Assn.
* Marty Rodriguez (Entrepreneur). Rodriguez is executive vice president of Century 21 Whiting Realty in San Dimas, and in 1989 was named the company's top saleswoman out of 60,000 agents nationwide.
* Jean Speer (Business). Speer is owner of Speer's Flowers in Glendora and West Covina, ranked among the top 500 florists in the U.S. and Canada by the 24,000-member FTD Floral Assn.
* June Wentworth (Volunteer Service). She is a member of the Walnut Planning Commission and is involved in the Walnut Women's Club.
In addition, Diana Brutoco, co-founder of Life-Savers Foundation of America, will be presented with a special Award of Distinction. Life-Savers Foundation is a nonprofit group that raises funds and recruits bone marrow donors.
Also honored will be 20 high school seniors who have "exhibited outstanding traits of character and leadership."
Tickets for the luncheon, which will be held at the Industry Hills Sheraton Resort in Industry, are $40. The deadline to buy tickets is Friday. For more information, call (818) 960-2995.