Seventy-six people were left homeless after fire broke out in a ground floor unit and spread to the top of a three-story apartment complex at California and Hyde streets, fire officials said. Sixty tenants were sheltered by the American Red Cross, which provided housing vouchers good for two to four weeks, a spokeswoman said. The fire is believed to have started in a malfunctioning rice cooker, officials said.
CALIFORNIA IN BRIEF : SAN FRANCISCO : 76 Left Homeless in Apartment Fire
From Times Staff and Wire Reports