Advertisement

FULLERTON : 2 Christmas House Fires Rout Families

Fires forced two families to spend Christmas night away from their homes, authorities said.

One family spent the night in a hotel after fire gutted their garage and sent thick smoke into the house in the 1100 block of Ferndale Avenue, Fire Chief Larry Greene said.

The fire caused $35,000 in damage, including destruction of the garage and a Jeep that was inside, Greene said. Faulty electrical wiring appeared to be the cause of the 9 p.m. blaze, which took firefighters about 10 minutes to put out. The house was not significantly damaged and the family is expected to return home soon.

Another fire Christmas morning destroyed the second story of a home in the 400 block of Ximeno Avenue, causing $100,000 worth of damage. Sparks from the fireplace ignited the wood shake roof. The fire took 30 minutes to extinguish, Greene said, and the family is staying with relatives.

Advertisement


Advertisement