Advertisement

CALIFORNIA IN BRIEF : SACRAMENTO : Suspect Pleads Not Guilty in Shootout

From Times Staff and Wire Reports

A surviving suspect pleaded not guilty to murder charges in the April shootout at an electronics store that left six people dead and 11 wounded. Loi Khac Nguyen, 21, is charged with three counts of murder and 51 other felonies. A preliminary hearing was scheduled Dec. 3 in Municipal Court. Sheriff’s deputies say he and three other young men, two of them Nguyen’s brothers, entered the store April 4 and held 41 people hostage during an eight-hour siege. The three other gunmen were slain by deputies who stormed the store. Deputies say the four gunmen killed three people in the store. Nguyen’s attorney, Linda Parisi, told reporters that he had been trying to negotiate a surrender. “There is nothing that shows he did any of the shooting that killed any of the people,” she said.


Advertisement