Helping the Needy at Christmas
Mayor Tom Bradley will declare next Tuesday “Toy Drive Day.” Hundreds of organizations will be distributing toys, clothes and food to the needy and underprivileged throughout Los Angeles County. Here is a list of some of those organizations:
* The Los Angeles Children’s Toy Drive will be collecting toys from the Los Angeles branches of American Savings Bank and distributing the toys on Dec. 19 at housing projects. For more information, call (310) 208-6840.
* St. Vibiana’s Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles is sponsoring “Adopt-a-Family” for the holidays, reaching out to thousands of Skid Row families. Baskets of clothing, toys and two weeks’ worth of food will be delivered to families the Saturday before Christmas. For more information, call (213) 624-3941.
* The Crenshaw branches of Great Western Bank and American Savings Bank will be collecting toys for the Sickle Cell Disease Research Foundation. Toys can be dropped off at Great Western Bank, 4401 Crenshaw Blvd.; American Savings Bank, 3775 Santa Rosalia Drive, and the Sickle Cell Disease Research Foundation, 4401 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 208. For more information, call (213) 299-3600.
* Delta Air Lines and the Los Angeles Interline Club are collecting toys for Los Angeles Childrens Hospital on Wednesday from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. at the LAX Viscount Hotel, 9750 Airport Blvd. Admission to the party is $6 and a toy.
* The Brothers of Charity are collecting new socks and T-shirts (adult sizes) or any type of clothing for their Nuestro Hogar drop-in center for homeless males under age 21. The center is at 1519 Cambria St., Los Angeles (west of the Harbor Freeway and one block south of 7th and Union streets). For more information, call (213) 413-8120.
* KCBS-FM radio will sponsor a Christmas party on Dec. 19 for the Make-a-Wish Foundation of Los Angeles and more than 100 children who are afflicted with life-threatening illnesses. Gifts will be collected at information booths at West Covina Plaza and Northridge Fashion Center. Gifts can also be dropped off at CBS Studios, 6121 Sunset Blvd. For more information, call (213) 460-3293.
* Covenant House California, a shelter that serves at least 28,000 young runaways a year, is collecting new underwear for both boys and girls, as well as tooth brushes, shampoo and toys. Volunteers are also needed to help wrap donated items. For more information, call (213) 461-3131.
* The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank supplies more than 600 agencies that feed more than 250,000 people a week. Any one wishing to donate food items will be referred to a local agency by calling (213) 234-3030.
* The Salvation Army is sponsoring a program that allows a donor to give a personalized gift. Names of the needy can be selected at Salvation Army offices by picking an angel from an “Angel Tree” with the name of the recipient and his or her age, clothing sizes and other information. For more information, call (213) 627-5571.
* The Fred Jordan Mission of Los Angeles will have its annual holiday party on Dec. 21 for more than 15,000 homeless people. Toys, blankets and food are needed. For more information, call (818) 915-1988.