McIntyre Enjoys Challenge of Being Captain of Half-Day Boat

Captain Don McIntyre first became hooked on ocean sportfishing when his father took him on a trip when he was 15.

As his interest grew, McIntyre decided to seek a job as a deckhand at Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach and later at Art’s Landing in Newport Beach. It was in those early years that he learned the skills needed to become a skipper.

McIntyre was in the U.S. Navy Reserve and in 1950 he was called to serve in the Korean War. Upon discharge three years later, he became a deckhand for South Bay sportfishing boats.

When McIntyre earned his captain’s license in 1960, he started a career that took him to numerous ports in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.


The first boat he operated was the Channel Isle out of San Diego. He was the second skipper.

From 1971 to 1975, McIntyre was skipper of the long-range sportfisher Prowler.

McIntyre, 60, later received an offer to go to Trinidad to deliver fuel aboard the Alabama, a 140-foot barge.

He said he gained valuable experience during his six months on the barge, but when his work aboard the Alabama was completed, he decided to return to the South Bay.


But with work aboard local boats difficult to find, he began searching for employment outside the area. He eventually became second skipper of the sportfisher Coroloma out of Oxnard.

In 1978, McIntyre took over the helm of the 65-foot sea angler, which made daily runs to the Channel Islands.

One of his most notable trips occurred in 1980, when fishermen aboard his boat caught 220 cow cod, each weighing more than 13 pounds, off Santa Rosa Island.

By 1987, McIntyre grew wary of the long commute from his South Bay home. So when he was offered the opportunity to become skipper of the L.A. Harbor half-day boat Matt Walsh, McIntyre could not wait to come home.


Despite the careful planning involved in operating a half-day boat, McIntyre enjoys the challenge. He has built a following of anglers who praise him for ability to locate fish.

On one trip to Horseshoe Kelp last year, McIntyre was able to locate an abundance of yellowtail. Anglers aboard the Matt Walsh returned with 60 yellowtail that weighed 20 pounds or more.

McIntyre attributes much of his success to new electronic technology, which helps him locate fish quickly.

Rock cod fishing improved during the past week, and anglers were frequently able to catch their limit.


The 22nd Street Landing boat Freedom headed to Osborne Bank, and the 14 anglers aboard returned with their limit. Randy Smith of Manhattan Beach also caught a 30-pound lingcod.

The L.A. Harbor’s Sportking worked around Catalina Island, and the 19 anglers caught 305 rock cod and The Redondo Sportfishing boat Blackjack worked near Santa Barbara Island, and the 23 anglers caught limits of rock cod and cow cod.