ANAHEIM : Blanket Thrown on Heater Starts Fire


A fire broke out in the bedroom of a duplex Wednesday night after a 5-year-old boy threw a blanket over a portable floor heater, which ignited the blanket, fire officials said Thursday.

“The boy was apparently trying to hide the fact that he had turned the heater on,” said Anaheim Fire Investigator Mike Doty.

The fire started shortly after 8 p.m. in the duplex in the 3400 block of Canoga Place. It took 14 firefighters from the Anaheim and Buena Park fire departments about 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control, Doty said.


The boy was home with his 13-year-old brother and 4-year-old sister. The three were able to escape from the home without harm.

Although the fire was confined to the bedroom, there was extensive smoke and water damage to the rest of the home, which is now uninhabitable. The fire caused $15,000 in damage, officials said.