OXNARD : Home Is Evacuated After Heater Explodes


More than half a dozen people were forced from their south Oxnard home after a kerosene heater erupted in flames and burned the hallway, fire officials said Sunday.

Battalion Chief Terry McAnally said Francisca Jimenez was trying to light the heater when it exploded about 9:30 p.m. Saturday.

It took 12 firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the fire, which caused $4,000 in damage to the Wolff Street home and another $1,000 in damage to its contents, McAnally said.


Jimenez and her family were offered emergency services from the American Red Cross, but decided to stay with friends, McAnally said.

Kerosene heaters are illegal in California for indoor use because of the danger they pose, and fire officials have forwarded the results of an investigation into the incident to city building inspectors, fire officials said.