Los Alamitos Strikes Quickly, Wins, 43-13


After scoring two touchdowns in three plays at the start of the game, Los Alamitos’ high-powered offense sputtered and then shifted into cruise control in defeating Pasadena Muir, 43-13, Friday night at Pasadena City College.

The Griffins, The Times’ No. 1-rated team, scored on their second play when Kevin Feterik passed to to Stan Guyness for a 73-yard touchdown. Los Alamitos found itself in scoring position again three plays later when George Martin sacked Muir’s Steven Morse and forced a fumble that was recovered by the Griffins at the Muir five-yard line.

Los Alamitos needed only one play to add to its lead. Feterik scored on a quarterback sneak to give the Griffins a 15-0 lead with 8:29 to play in the first quarter.


“They’re a real good team, with a solid quarterback and receivers,” said Muir senior Shaun Haslip. “But I think we could have given them a better game if we had gotten off [to a better start].”

With running back Michael Graham suspended for the game for repeated lateness to practice earlier in the week, Muir (2-2) tried things competitive, but three first-half interceptions by Morse hurt the Mustangs’ chances.

Los Alamitos took a 22-0 lead midway into the second quarter on a one-yard run by Tony Austin after a Muir fumble at the Mustangs’ 19-yard line.

Muir scored late in the first half on a 59-yard halfback option pass play from Michael Hughes to Deangelo Steward. Then, behind the running of Haslip--who finished with 93 yards in 11 carries--the Mustangs scored on their first possession of the second half on a two-yard run by Morse to cut the Griffins’ lead to 22-13.

The Griffins scored on their next two possessions on a two-yard run by Austin and a one-yard keeper by Feterik.

“I got kind of excited when they scored there because I like it when its a close game,” said Feterik, who completed 12 of 17 passes for 236 yards and one touchdown. “We did well, especially in the second half, but we still have a lot of room for improvement.”

Los Alamitos finished its scoring on a 56-yard touchdown run by Roy Roberts.