Burbank, Burroughs Face Football Investigation
School district officials said Friday they will hire an outside investigator to look into undisclosed allegations concerning the football programs at Burbank and Burroughs high schools.
Greg Bowman, the district’s assistant superintendent, said he expects to hire an investigator within a few days and hopes he can submit the results to the Southern Section in 30 to 45 days.
Bowman declined to reveal the nature of the investigation but said, “You people who write the newspapers, go back and read your own articles.”
Burroughs Coach Robert dos Remedios filed a complaint last week with the Southern Section charging Burbank Coach John Hazelton, Burbank junior varsity Coach Doc Johns and Burbank school board president Joe Hooven with recruiting violations. Johns and Hooven were allegedly seen conversing with a former Burroughs player in the stands during a recent game at Burroughs.
Last week Ken Wilson, the player who allegedly was being recruited, reportedly told the principal of Burroughs High that dos Remedios is abusive to his players.
Additionally, Southern Section Commissioner Dean Crowley said he would ask Burbank school administrators for transfer documents on former Burbank player Anson Beck, who transferred from Montclair Prep last year.
Crowley met for nearly two hours Friday with Bowman, Burbank Superintendent David Aponik, Burbank Principal Willard Williams and Burroughs Principal Tim Buchanan to discuss the allegations in a meeting at the school district headquarters, but had no comment.