County Seeks Input on Marine Base Proposals
Residents who want to comment on nonairport uses proposed for El Toro Marine Corps Air Station have until Wednesday to submit their statements in writing.
The comments should center on a 40-page proposal released by the county last month. The plan deals with six ways the facility might be developed after the Marines leave in 1997. Copies of the proposal are available at the El Toro and Irvine libraries.
The six proposals will be the topic for a public meeting Thursday sponsored by the MCAS El Toro Local Redevelopment Authority. They are:
* A combination of government offices, housing and a federal prison.
* A movie theme park.
* A sports-entertainment complex.
* An automotive center for testing new transportation technology.
* The creation of a planned residential community.
* A research center and industrial complex.
Responses may be sent to Mark Morgan, Environmental Management Agency, Planning Department, P.O. Box 4048, Santa Ana, CA 92702-4048.
Thursday’s meeting will be at 6 p.m. at the Irvine Ranch Water District, 15600 Sand Canyon Ave., Irvine. Information: (714) 834-5145.