For parents who use timeouts to handle a child's misbehavior, Tommy the Time-Out Teacher comes to the rescue. The mechanical clock (no batteries needed) can be set to progress from a sad face to a happy face when the timeout is over. (One minute for each year of the child's age is recommended.) For children 2 years and older. Nursery Needs by Sanitoy offers Tommy for $12; it's available at retail and drug store chains nationwide. Information: (800) 726-4869.
* The Craft and Folk Art Museum presents "Pipi Longstocking; Stories, Songs and Surprises," a storytelling session lead by actress-teacher Agneta Bylund and featuring Sweden's high-spirited children's book character. Free. 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. at 5800 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles. Information: 937-5544.
* Children 6 though 11 may enroll in "Cheerleading," a new five-week class offered from 3 to 4 p.m. on Mondays at the Community Youth Center in Grant Howals Park, Newport Beach. Registration is $35. The class will cover basic cheerleading skills. To register, visit the Newport Beach Community Services Department at 3300 Newport Blvd., or call (714) 664-3153. (Ask for class No. 7206.)
* The Los Angeles Public Library presents a free story time hour for children 2 to 5 years at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesdays through Jan. 28 at the Will and Ariel Durant Branch Library, 1403 N. Gardner St., Los Angeles. Registration is at the reference desk. Space is limited. Information: (213) 876-2741.
* Cabrillo Marine Aquarium's Science at the Seashore Program is offering "Gripping, Galloping, Sliming and Sticking," a workshop about ocean plants and animals for 3- to 6-year-olds. 10 a.m.-noon. $10. 3720 Stephen White Drive, San Pedro. Information: (310) 548-7562, Ext. 7017.
* Children's Book World presents "Storytelling With Jennifer and Jon" at 10:30 a.m. Founding members of the children's theater company Imagination Station will perform. For children 3 to 8. 10580 1/2 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles. Information: (310) 559-2665.
* This family roundup appears on Sundays. Items to be considered should be mailed 3 1/2 weeks before the event to Aaron Davis, The Family File, Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Square, Los Angeles, CA 90053. Fax: (213) 237-4712.